Homemade Hair Care Tips
Does your hair look dull, damaged, rough and lifeless? Is hair-loss, premature graying of hair, dry scalp or dandruff troubling you and causing unnecessary stress? What to do when you are unable to find the time to visit a beauty parlour for beautifying your hair? Don’t worry; no need to compromise on your looks, just head for your kitchen.
Your kitchen is well equipped to take care of your hair. You must have tried innumerable hair products, shampoos, conditioners and treatments to get back that bouncy hair but all in vain. You will be surprised to know that your kitchen cabinets and refrigerator hold the beauty secrets to long, healthy and lustrous hair.
Try these beauty aids from the kitchen cabinets without wasting any time. Soon, your cherished desire and dream of long, thick, shiny and healthy hair will be realized without shelling out huge sums of money on beauty products and at the parlors.
Egg, yogurt and banana mask for overall hair care: Egg, yogurt, banana, lemon and olive oil mixture can work wonders for overall hair care. Egg, rich in biotin and other nutrients, strengthens the hair and prevents hair-loss. Yogurt is a gentle cleanser which clears the pores, promotes hair growth and makes hair smooth and shiny. Banana and olive oil are great for individuals with damaged hair and help in taking care of a dry, scaly scalp. Lemon adds shine to the hair.
- Take yogurt according to the length of the hair (2 tbsp. for short hair) and break open a raw egg into it. Add chopped banana and lemon juice (1 tbsp.) to the mixture and break open a vitamin E capsule into the bowl. Those with dry hair may add 1 tsp of olive oil. Put all the ingredients into a blender and run the mixer. Shampoo your hair and apply this mixture on the scalp and into the hair root and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with water. This works as a great conditioner and leaves your hair shiny, soft, lustrous and bouncy.
Egg and yogurt pack for limp hair: Yogurt is a great beauty aid when it comes to hair. Use this pack once a week to rejuvenate limp hair and bring back the shine and bounce to the hair.
- Break open an egg in 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey and mix well. Apply this mixture into the hair and cover the scalp with a shower cap. Leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse off well with cold water. Wash hair with a mild shampoo.
Rosemary for hair growth: Every kitchen has rosemary for flavoring various food preparations. This common herb has also been used as a beauty aid from time immemorial. It not only nourishes the scalp and hair follicles, it also strengthens them, promotes hair growth and prevents dandruff, premature graying of hair and hair-loss. Bring back life and lustre to the dull and damaged hair by using rosemary oil.
- Prepare your own oil by putting a cup of rosemary leaves in a bottle and covering it with almond oil or olive oil. Best results are seen when the oil used for covering the leaves is a mixture of almond, olive and sesame oil taken in equal proportions.
- Simmer a handful of fresh or dried rosemary leaves in water for 10- 15 minutes. Cool and strain the mixture. Use this infusion for rinsing after every hair wash for perfect, well-conditioned hair with a pleasant smell.
Avocados for hair rejuvenation: A storehouse of nutrients, avocados are excellent for rejuvenating the hair and promoting hair growth. The healthy fats keep the scalp well moisturized and keep dandruff at bay. The nutrients offer nourishment to the scalp as well as hair.
- Cut open an avocado and take the pulp out in a bowl. Combine well with a teaspoon of olive oil and egg yolk to make a smooth, creamy mixture. Apply the mixture to the wet hair and make sure to cover the scalp and hair roots. Let it stay for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and shampoo your hair. Admire your soft and silky hair.
Squeeze a little lemon on dull hair: Bring back life and lustre to the dull hair with a lemon juice rinse. Squeeze a lemon, add water to it and rinse after washing your hair.
Lemon juice and coconut hair mask for hair loss: This mask is an excellent way to strengthen the hair and prevent hair-loss. Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and coconut water and apply to the scalp and roots of the hair and let it stay for half an hour before washing hair with a mild shampoo.
Olive oil hair mask and conditioner: Olive oil is a great bet to keep the hair healthy, well moisturized and lustrous. High levels of mono-unsaturated fatty acids keep the hair well moisturized. The rich nutritional profile nourishes, protects and makes hair stronger. Olive oil promotes overall scalp health. Warm olive oil is a great hair-conditioner. Above all, it is great for preventing hair-loss.
- Moisturize your hair and get the shine back with this simple hair mask. Take 3 tbsp. honey and 5 tbsp. olive oil and mix them thoroughly. Increase or decrease the quantity according to the length of the hair. Apply the pack throughout the hair and scalp and cover with a shower cap for 15-20 minutes. Shampoo your hair to remove the pack. Make sure you remove the pack completely. Use only once a week to turn dull hair into soft and shiny hair.
- Take a half cup of olive oil in a cup. Combine well with egg yolk and a few drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply the mixture on the hair and let the conditioner stay on the hair for 15 minutes. Rinse off.
Apple cider vinegar for hair shine: Mix a half cup of apple cider vinegar in half a bucket of water and use it for rinsing your hair after a shampoo, and get a shiny and bouncy effect. It is also effective in preventing dandruff.
Honey for conditioning dull hair: Honey works great for conditioning dull hair and gives a lustrous shine to the hair. Use a mixture of two teaspoons of honey in four cups of warm water as a hair rinse.
Coconut for bringing life back to hair: We all know that coconut oil is good for hair but let me tell you coconut milk is excellent for hair and can bring back life to dull and damaged hair. A coconut also prevents premature graying of hair. Rejuvenate your hair with a coconut.
- Take out coconut milk. Cut small pieces of coconut or grate it. Put it in a blender and add warm water to it. Run the mixer. Strain the milk and use it. You may buy canned coconut milk but nothing beats the fresh milk. Apply this on the scalp and into the roots. Spread a towel before applying as the application is a little messy and the milk may spill. Cover your hair completely with coconut milk. Wear a shower cap and wash your hair after an hour.
- Massage the scalp and hair daily with coconut oil to which a few drops of lemon juice have been added. This prevents premature graying of hair.
Recover healthy hair with amla, shikakai and reetha: This combination has been used for centuries in every household in India for promoting thick, lustrous hair growth. Shikakai literally means fruit for the hair. It is an excellent natural hair cleanser, prevents dandruff and promotes hair growth. Shikakai and amla loaded with abundant antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, D, E and K are great for the overall health of hair. Reetha, soap nut, is a natural, chemical-free cleanser that keeps the scalp clean, fights dandruff and keeps the hair tangle free. The amla, reetha and shikakai combination is perfect for over-hair care.
- Amla, or Indian gooseberry, is the winner in the race when it comes to tackling problems like the premature graying of hair. Boil dried amla pieces (dried in the shade) in coconut oil till they turn black. Strain and store in a bottle for massaging the scalp and see the results in a month’s time.
- Make a paste by mixing water to shikakai powder. Leave for 15 minutes before working through the hair. Make sure that, for a dry scalp the paste is not very thick, in fact it should be fairly thin.
- Soak reetha overnight in water. Mash them the next morning and boil for 10-15 minutes. Strain the soapy solution; add a tablespoon of shikakai powder and use for washing hair.
- Amla juice and lemon juice – fresh amla (Indian gooseberry) and lemon juice in equal quantities work well to promote hair-growth and prevent hair-loss. Rub the scalp and roots with the juice.
Green tea for your tresses:
Green tea is not only good for drinking; it is also a beauty-aid especially for your tresses. The EGCG phytochemicals and antioxidants, vitamin C and E, all promote hair-growth. Panthenol found in abundance in green tea, softens and strengthens the hair and prevents split ends. Prepare green tea, strain and use it for rinsing the hair after washing.
Mustard seed oil for damaged and dry hair: Mustard oil is a perfect beauty-aid for preventing hair-loss, growing hair, strengthening the roots and preventing the premature graying of hair. The oil is rich in minerals selenium and zinc, the deficiency of which has been linked to hair loss. Mustard oil also nourishes the hair with healthy fats, other minerals and vitamins.
- Just warm the mustard oil and massage the scalp with the oil. Apply on the roots as well. Leave it for at least an hour before washing the hair.
Curry leaves for preventing premature greying of hair: Curry leaves are effective in preventing premature greying of hair besides adding strength and vitality to the hair.
- Boil curry leaves in coconut oil or mustard oil till they turn black. Cool and strain the oil and store in a bottle. Massage the scalp with this oil and see the results for yourself