Tips on How to Unclog a Toilet
There is nothing more frustrating than a clogged toilet – especially if you have no idea on how to unclog it. If you live in London you could call a local London plumber, but what if you don’t have a plumber who is near you, you don’t who to call or you don’t have the time to wait for one?
If that is happens, you may have to resort to doing it yourself. These tips will help do so.
- The worst thing you can do is rapid flushing. This will only exacerbate the problem and make things worse. If it’s clogged, by sending more water into the bowl, you may cause an overflow. The last thing you want is to have water spilling out of the bowl.
- Go one step further and turn off the water supply to the toilet. This way you won’t have any chance of spilling occurring. If you aren’t sure where to find the valve, look underneath the bowl, towards the wall.
- Even if you don’t rapid flush and cause the bowl to overflow, it would be a good suggestion to have a rag or cloth around the base of the bowl. This will keep the floor cleaner and will prevent slipping.
- It would be a good idea to aid ventilation by opening the windows. Bathrooms aren’t the biggest rooms in the house and when you don’t know how long you are going to be in there, if you don’t open the windows it could get really stuffy. Some fresh air is going to help.
- Not everyone has a plunger in the house and without one you are going to struggle to unclog the toilet. Don’t just have one, but make sure you have one that is of a good quality. A low-quality plunger will not be able to produce the necessary suction to unclog a toilet, especially if it’s tightly clogged. A common mistake that people is stuck air and not water. So if you have to do so, add some water to ensure that the water level is sufficient. You may have to do this a number of times under the clog is cleared.
These tips should aid you to unclog your toilet. If you find that you still can’t unclog it, than you are going to have to try and seek assistance elsewhere. A family or even a person just can’t live with a clogged toilet.
David Wise likes to write about DIY related activities. He has worked at West Hollywood plumber RoyalePlumbing. In his spare he likes to do jigsaw puzzles.
image credit: familyhandyman.com